This morning, Thursday, Jan. 13, there was a fire in Plainville and firefighters had to locate the nearest fire hydrant and shovel it out before it could be used.
We ask that all residents and owners of commercial property to take the time and locate the one closest to their property and shovel around them to make accessible to fire fighters.
On Thursday, Plainville Police released the name of the woman killed Wednesday in a structure fire at Hidden Glen condominiums. Diana Scott, 64, was identified through an autopsy conducted Thursday at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Residents are cleaning their yard of leaves, branches and other debris that gather over the winter. Residents are reminded that the Town of Plainville has an open burning ordinance.
Larry A. Sutherland, Plainville fire marshal, has announced local children are participating in this year's Fire Prevention Poster Contest. The contest theme is “Fire Prevention-Everyone/Everyday.” Its purpose is to promote child and adult awareness of fire prevention responsibilities.
Friday night fireworks at the Plainville Fire Company's 25th Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival have been cancelled, it was announced today at 3 p.m. by Larry Sutherland, town fire marshal. Officials are hoping that the weather will allow for fireworks on Saturday night at 9:30 p.m.
On Memorial Day, May 25, at about 8 a.m., 51 Plainville firefighters responded to a fire at 383 Farmington Ave. with two engines, ladder tower and rescue unit. The blaze heavily damaged the building owned by Hardial Singh. Town and Country Discount Liquor sustained major damage and Milano Pizza received smoke and heat.
Plainville Fire Marshal Larry Sutherland would like to warn residents about chimney cleaning scams:
Several homes and businesses on Forestville Avenue were evacuated Monday following the second gas leak in two days.